Wednesday, May 7, 2008

week 3 posts

I switched books. Now my world culturally inclusive outside reading choice is Bridgette Jones Diary about a 30 something in London working in the publishing biz. In this first part of the book we see distinct differences from British culture and Americans. Firstly the language is different- cigarettes are called fags, very can be said as bloody, and ite/ate is added on to words to make them adjectives. In British culture it seems that women are expected to be married by the time they are in their thirties where as in America it is perfectly normal for a business women to be single up into her forties or beyond. Also it seems that their may be a different attitude in the work place. The bosses (the ugly p name) seem to run a tighter shift where as American bosses are more flexible. On the contrary Bridgette’s flirty relationship with her boss Daniel in this section of the book, would be a huge scandal in an American corporation

I am really really enjoying this book. I decided that the kite runner was not very good. It was bland and I didn’t really enjoy the writing style. I however adore this book already( im only on page 40!) I love books that are first person and in a diary format, it helps you to jump into the characters life and get inside their head. I’ve seen the movie and I thought they were bloody hilarious. ( hah bloody brit joke) Instantly were able to relate to her feelings about the holiday season and the weight you put on. Who hasn’t been there. I also really like how she begins each entry-her weight, her alcohol consumption, how many cigarettes she’s had and her overall calories. Later on like on page l36 she starts saying how many positive and negative thoughts she’s had. Its also funny because she is so blunt and her family and events are just hilarious so far this book is great

No comments: