Sunday, September 23, 2007

outside reading 1

Dear Marya,
I have only just begun your memoir, Wasted- A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia, and I cannot put it down! I was amazed to know how young you were when you started having thoughts about your body. At five years old you talk about being on a diet. In this quote your family is sitting at a typical dinner and as with most young kids they are encouraging them to eat- "a few more bite. Two more she says. Three says my father. They glare at eachother. I eat a pea." (Hornbacher 12). I like how you talk about the eating disorder as an obsession. I agree with you and thats a good way to describe it. "Some people who are obsessed with food become gourmet ches. Others get eating disorders." (13). I am really enjoying your book and cant see what else happens to you as a young child just beginning an eating disorder.

3 comments:

Michael said...

Hi Kara, I find the quote you chose very interesting. I think anorexia would be a very scary thing to have. It sometimes seems counterproductive when parents force their children to eat, just like in your quote.

caitiliousss said...

hi Kara, Im reding the same book as you and have come to around the same conclusion. I really like your choice of quotes and how you talked about Marya's early childhood and development of bulimia and anorexia.

Taylors amazingly amazing blog said...

Hey Kara, I found the comment of the author about an eating disorder was very wierd, but it makes sense when you think about.