Monday, October 1, 2007

oops my post from last week

Vocab-
Prepubescent(9)-adjective of or pertaining to the years immediately preceding puberty, prepubertal.
Anorectic(20)- noun a person who has Anorexia Nervosa.

Appeals
1) “Some people who are obsessed with food become gourmet chefs. Others get eating disorders” (p.13) I like how Marya talks about her eating disorder as an obsession and not just a disease. She also talks very bluntly and I like the comparison in this quote.
2) “ ‘Mirror phases’ essential describes my life.” (p.15) Before this quote she was talking about children development and how must young kids go through a stage of being obsessed with looking at them in the mirror. That is Marya’s entire life.
3) “Hungry was the same as lonely and not hungry was the same as scared.” (p.27) I can tie this quote into the book black boy. Themes in both of the books are hunger. While both are different forms of hunger they share that. Marya’s hunger for food and to feel better, while Richard hungers from knowledge.

Quotes
1) “Food was a problem in my family…my mother was a former-or was it closet?-bulimic with strange eating habits.” A problem that she faces through and up to the point that I have reached are her families contributions to her disease. With a dad who shovels his face and a bulimic mother its easy to see where her tendencies came from. Also her parents used food as love and as war against each other.
2) “ And then pinched myself hard, telling myself to quite being a baby. Crybaby. I thought. Fat little pig” Another reason for the disorder is Marya’s constant critics of herself. This quote is from when she was just 5 year-old. During this scene in the book, Marya is again in that terrible mirror stage, She’s looking at herself and is disgusted by what she sees.
3) Emotionally the disease takes control of you and you begin to associate food with emotions. In this quote we see that theme. “No answer. Run to the kitchen, open the fridge, look for something to eat. Fast. Before you have time to get sad.”

Theme
Right now in the book I would have to say that the themes are hunger, loss and family. She is hungry for her family and hungry for food. The loss of her family life is traumatic even though they have supposedly gotten back together ( I think that will be short) .Her family is not entirely to blame for the disorder but I would say they are a large factor.

No comments: