Monday, October 1, 2007

outside reading blog a

In this section of the book Marya moves to Edina and begins puberty. This is a really critical time for her because her body starts to change and fill out before all of her other friends, therefore she seems 'fat' compared to them. At 8 Marya begins to expirement sexually. This counteracts what doctors say about people with an eating disorder that they are afraid of it. Arounf this time in the book is when Marya first throws up leading to her bulimia. She describes it as a secret a secret that will keep her feeling in control. "I had a secret. It was a guilty secret, certainly. But it was my secret. Ihad something to hold on to. It was company. It kept me calm. It filled me up and empited me out." (p 43). She goes through more of the mirror phase and is sucked into teen magazines whihc make her feel even worse.

1 comment:

Monika said...

I get that how people with bulimia want to be in control and by having a secret they are in control of it. It is cool that she mentions it.